Custom Search

Saturday, November 14, 2009

Disclaimer Before You Get a Pitbull

I have been a pitbull lover for years and have my current baby, Maximus, for four years now. They are amazing dogs as I'm sure many of you know, but they do have the worst reputation of any other dog out there. This means that if you chose this particular dog you MUST hold yourself to a much higher standard than any other dog owner. You have to make sure that your dog is the best trained dog in the neighborhood and understand that you are a representative of the breed everywhere you go! One bad pitbull, or one mistake from even a good pitbull, can ruin it for the rest of us. I have lived in a few cities where dog attacks, or even just an increase in numbers of pitbulls, have prompted the city to immediately start trying to ban the dogs, without any due process at all.

Even though they are amazing dogs, they have a stereotype just like different races of people. Loyal, Strong, Scary, Mean, Smart, Vicious, Beautiful, Dangerous, Loving, Deadly. Some good, some bad, some true, some lies. Everywhere you go people will either love you or hate you because of your dog, there is no in between. You have to understand that every time you go out with your dog people will look at you like you are a criminal or holding a gun. They will cross the street, turn the other way, pick up their dog, shoot you dirty looks and I've even had some say really nasty things to me, just because I have a pitbull. If you cannot handle that kind of attention, and just brush it off and ignore it without getting angry or upset about it then don't get the dog in the first place. Sorry but that's the way it is, I even get a lot of grief from my family, they want me to come to holidays and whatnot..... oooh but you can't bring your dog, even if it's at MY parents house!

That said, that is why I am writing this website, and it doesn't pertain to training just pitbulls, it works with every dog, and frankly I think all dogs need to be trained to the maximum. Training you dog well will make life with your dog that much more enjoyable, for you and for everyone. I have had a lot of success with the methods I have used, so I will share them with you in hopes that you and your dog can enjoy life as much as we have! Be aware though, it is a lot of work and takes a lot of time and persistence. But don't give up easily, and definitely don't underestimate your dog, they are all VERY smart. It just takes the right attitude and, again, time.

No comments:

Post a Comment