Custom Search

Saturday, November 14, 2009

Picking Your Puppy

This can be the most important step in owning a pitbull, as it determines what you will have to be dealing with for the rest of your time together. I always recommend to people that they take a lot of time researching about whatever kind of dog that they want. You need to find a dog that fits your needs, and capabilities.
Big dogs come with lots of food costs, big craps, big cleanup, heavy lifting (if you pick them up), and some bigger vets costs (some fees are based on size of dog). Little dogs, though cute, also have positives and negatives,  they can be very fragile, so for me especially, a rough and clumsy guy, I could not have a little dog because I would probably step on it.
Long hair vs. short hair is also a consideration. I have allergies so I had to have a dog that didn't shed, and had short hair. I have a friend who has a husky, a fantastic dog don't get me wrong, but everything he owns is constantly and indefinitely covered in white dog hair. So think about it, are you going to be grooming your dog a lot or a little, because I know how much time he spends combing out that hair and it's still everywhere. Personally, even with my dog's short, no shed hair I still brush him often, mainly because it makes him shine and looks sexy as hell!
When it comes to pitbulls, and some other dogs also, I would say that color is also a very important factor. There are many different types; fawn, brindle, black, and the reverse of all of those. Do your research and determine what your favorite is.
Another big factor is temperament, decide if you want to deal with the rambunctious/aggressive dog or the lazy/calm dog. My dog is the lazy calm dog, which made his training that much easier, and also controlling him as he grew. On the other hand, his brother, (whom my friend owns) was the crazy one. When they were puppies Maximus would just sleep, while his brother would play tug-o-war with anything near him. These small tendencies when they are little turn into big personalities when they weigh 80lbs., so think about that too! Your cute little puppy will have a lot of size very soon!
So after you've done all your research and made your decisions, now you know what dog you want!
Get ready because your life is about to change, dramatically!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment